We will be starting the last term soon. The year is going by fast. I will give you an update on our subjects.
In our Journeys reading books we are starting a new story called Amazing Animals (Unit 5, Lesson 22). In case you want to read ahead we plan on reading the following stories this term.
- Unit 5 – Lesson 22 – Amazing Animals
- Unit 5 – Lesson 24 – A Tree is a Plant
- Unit 5 – Lesson 25 – The New Friend
- Unit 6 – Lesson 26 – The Dot.
- Unit 6 – Lesson 27 – What Can You Do?
- Unit 6 – Lesson 28 Days with Frog and Toad
- Unit 6 – Lesson 29 – Hi! Fly Guy
In Math, next we will start Chapter 7 “Compare Numbers” and after that Chapter 8 “Two -Digit Addition and Subtraction”
Next in science we will study a unit of study called “Space Systems: Patterns and Cycles”. We will learn about the following topics:
- the rotation of the Earth
- the revolution of the Earth around the Sun
- the orbit of the planets
- Earth spins on an imaginary line called an axis, resulting in day and night
- seasons are caused by the angle of light from the sun as it hits the Earth
- the sun is the center of our solar system, and allows us to survive
- the planets, the sun, the moon, all interact to create our solar system
- we have seasons because of orbit and tilt of the earth as it rotates around the sun.
Our next unit in social studies is called “Communities and Maps” Below are some of the main topics we will study:
- basic map symbols can represent land, water, cities and roads.
- construct simple maps of familiar places using basic map symbols.
- identify the cardinal directions (north south, east, and west).
- locate their home, neighborhood, school, and Japan on a visual representation.
- identify cultural groups of Japan and their characteristics.
- recognize and explain the similarities and differences between their family and families of other cultures.
- identify ways that people can change the environment.
- identify geographic factors that may influence the way people in Japan live.